Saturday, March 12, 2011

Awkward Christianity: On Blessings

When Sincere Things That Christians Do and Say Are Potentially Problematic

Here are some situations that I have been mulling over in the context of what I call "awkward Christianity." I present them in this way not to offend, alarm, or condemn, but simply in the spirit of considering that sometimes sincere kindness gets lost in translation. Sometimes we don't realize the magnitude or implications of what we say, or see it entirely differently. It behooves us to be sensitive to that in both speaking and listening.

Awkwardness #1: Blessings

"God has blessed me with good health, a spouse, children, a nice home," etc.

Likely Intended Meaning(s): I feel blessed, grateful, happy, content. I like the circumstances, people, things, etc. of and in my life or at this particular time. I give credit to God that I have this.

Considerations: My co-conversationalist may be in a similar circumstance, or may not. I should not presume to know. Their circumstances may have changed (such as having an illness they have not disclosed to me). They may believe that God has blessed them in some way; they may be in the midst of confusion, uncertainty, or upset with God. My co-conversationalist may or may not believe in giving gratitude to God even for difficulties and for not having what they would like. They may not believe in God or may not know quite what they believe about God and "blessings."

Where I'd Be Wrong and Why It's Worth the Risk: If you sincerely believe (1) that God blesses us with pleasant, happy things but not challenging, unpleasant things, (2) that we should always thank God by name and in public/in conversation with other people, or (3) that the absence of pleasant, happy things in someone's life is an indication of the absence of God's blessing, then this Awkward-Avoidance may not sit well with you. But I disagree at least in part with all three of the aforementioned, and that's why I consider this a scenario of potential Awkward Christianity worth addressing.

How to Avoid the Awkward: I don't mean to suggest not to share joy or gratitude with others or to neglect to thank God, but simply to be sensitive to the fact that this statement may reflect my joy and gratitude but may inspire other feelings or questions for my companion. Consider, too, that perhaps we can exhibit joy and gratitude in other ways: that this is one of the cases in which the maxim "actions speak louder than words" may ring true. Share your joy, perhaps not by saying "God has given me a reason to have joy," but by simply exuding the joy it has brought you and striving to bring such joy to another. Pray in your inner room - let God know of your gratitude. And if you exhibit the joy of God in good times and in bad whether or not you say a word about the circumstance, you reveal far more about God's blessings than words could convey.


Image Source

1 comment:

  1. a good point, one i should consider and take to heart :P

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...