Friday, January 28, 2011

90 Years (and Outreach Opportunities)

Today is my grandfather's 90th birthday!

In his honor, I am contributing to three very different, very meaningful organizations. I invite anyone who is interested to join us in celebrating Grandpa's birthday and supporting any of the organizations below. Click on their names to visit their websites and learn more about their work. Where appropriate, I've also linked to the pages I've created there.



Parkinson's Disease Foundation - Grandpa has Parkinson's Disease, "a movement disorder that is chronic and progressive, meaning that symptoms continue and worsen over time." Everyday tasks have become difficult for him: walking, moving, standing, sitting, eating, talking. Learn more about PD at the Foundation's website. View our fundraising page here. I've set a goal to raise $100, but there is no minimum or maximum amount requested.



Catholic Diocese of Memphis, Tennessee - Grandpa is my godfather. I often joke that, although I was confirmed United Methodist and raised in different Protestant churches, the fact that my godparents are Roman Catholic may have contributed to my deep desire for Catholic-Protestant kinship. I've decided to support the ministries of the diocese of Memphis in particular because it is the city where my grandparents met. Click here to view the different ministries that are accepting donations. There is no minimum or maximum amount requested.



Heifer International - For years, Grandpa helped to provide food for his family and community, working in his family's business as a butcher and laboring in his own vegetable garden. He bestowed upon me one of my favorite childhood nicknames: Sprout. Heifer International seeks to "work with communities to end hunger and poverty and care for the earth" by empowering communities and fostering self-reliance. Visit "Grandsprout's" registry here. Donations of as little as $1 can be given "Where Most Needed" and the cost of a particular animal/plant or share of an animal is $10+.

Thank you for your time!


The dog, of course, constantly watches
over Grandpa and is never far away.


May each and every year of your life be blessed, that you may be both protector and protected, healer and healed, lover and loved.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...